I’ve been hard at work lately getting through some of the film I exposed back in spring and summer. The photographs in this post are all from the three weeks I spent down in the California Bay Area while house sitting.Read More
I took my Mamiya RZ67 out for a spin earlier this week and had a really fun photoshoot. It was one of hose days where everything lined up pretty much perfectly. We got an early start in the day when there were plenty of clouds in the sky. There was a gentle breeze that felt good against the somewhat humid air. Best of all, it was mid-week and there wasn’t another soul in sight leaving plenty of time and freedom to photograph nudes without fear of offending anyone.
I brought the Mamiya RZ67 with me because I have a wider angle 65mm lens for it as opposed to my Hasselblad where I’m still currently limited to the 80mm lens. I knew I was going to be photographing two people and a wider angle lens was going to be useful for that. Plus the sky just looked so wonderful all packed with gray clouds that I wanted to be sure to have enough room in the frame to capture a little bit of that as well. I’ve gotten so used to carrying around the lighter weight Hasselblad that I’m not going to deny I felt a great deal of fatigue hand holding the RZ67 though.
Thirty minutes into the shoot and my arm was killing me for the rest of the day. It guess it wouldn’t be art making if we didn’t suffer a little bit though. It’s the whole “art through adversity” concept in its most minimal form.
I still seem to be pulling some nice gems from the two sessions I’ve done with Devi this year. It’s really nice when I do a photoshoot and nearly every single roll contains and image I am completely thrilled with. Even better when I am thrilled with the image for very different reasons. It could be the lighting, the mood, the shapes, or even just the memory of a nice and relaxed photo session. It doesn’t really much matter.
This image was made with the Hasselblad 500c/m with Fomapan 100 speed film. The light coming in through the window was pretty dim as a big cloud cover had just blocked out the sun within minutes of loading film in the camera so I was down to a fairly slow 1/30th of a second hand held. Thankfully my hands are still steady enough, especially with a waist level finder.
I finally started work on a long term goal of making alternative process prints at home. I decided to start with basic cyanotypes because the chemistry process is really easy to mix at home and the chemicals are for the most part not very toxic. I’ve long overlooked cyanotypes mostly because I’m honestly not a huge fan of the bright blue colors typically associated with a cyanotypes so I got around that particular problem by toning the print in black tea.
For a first attempt I’m pretty happy with the final results even though this is a pretty piss poor scan. I learned a lot after just one session and know a lot of changes I want to make for the next session which will probably be this weekend. This particular print only measures about 6 inches by 9 inches and eventually I want to get up to printing 11 inches by 14 inches.
Stay tuned for more of these prints in the future!
I got around to editing a few more images this weekend from my recent photoshoot working only with a Canon 6D DSLR. The digital workflow still, and probably always will, feel a little bit foreign to me. I always get this sense of detachment from the process. Like somehow I didn’t get my hands dirty enough. I realize that is my own personal hangup and I don’t mean to diminish the hard work and skill that photographers who primarily work in digital mediums often go through.Read More